Our differences don't end there, though. Tom can wait hours before eating anything at all while I am a snacker and get very cranky on an empty stomach. There are many times when I'm whining about something or other and Tom casually asks me if I'm hungry. Tom craves meat like a power carnivore while I'm always trying to get us to eat more vegetables. We went out to breakfast with friends a couple of weeks ago and he got a pork chop as a side order to compliment his hungry-man-like breakfast. His eating powers are truly amazing!
A time of the week when these differences are most obvious is in the morning on the weekends. We usually sleep a little later than during the week and when we wake up, I am ravenous. I just can't wait as long as Tom can to eat, so I usually have a bowl of cereal or some toast soon after I get up along with my coffee. Tom can wait until 1:00 or 2:00 before he eats his breakfast. When he does eat it, it is a feast for the eyes and tummy to behold since he has waited so long and has worked up an appetite from his run and from being awake for many hours. This breakfast usually consists of 4-6 pieces of toast slathered with butter and jam and Tom's famous scrambled eggs, which are the creamiest, richest, yummiest eggs you will ever taste. This recipe came about by mistake. We were out of milk one day and Tom decided to use sour cream instead, and it was a very pleasant discovery. Here's how you do it:
4 eggs
a few pinches of salt
1/8 cup sour cream
Whisk together all the ingredients until blended.
Put a pat of butter in a frying pan. Heat on medium to medium-high (the heat should be high but not so hot that the eggs will burn on contact)*. Wait until the butter is foaming before you put the egss in. Pour them in and let them set for 10-15 seconds then start continuously folding them until they are cooked, about 2 to 3 minutes. Grate the cheese of your choice on top (Tom likes medium cheddar) and garnish with fresh pepper. Recipe serves 2-3 people (or one person of you have an appetite the size of Tom's).
*Tom says that traditionally people think scrambled eggs should be cooked on low heat, when in actuality the higher heat makes them fluffy and perfect.
Here's a picture of Tom's perfect weekend breakfast:
1 comment:
next time we are with you guys, i want tom's perfect breakfast! jkk
Post a Comment