Sunday, April 27, 2008

Update

Wow, time really flies. I can't believe it's been three weeks since my vacation started. I can't say that I've been sipping daiquiris on the beach, working on my tan every day, but it's definitely been nice to have time off work during this tumultuous moving process.

My first week I did a lot of "me" stuff like reading, yoga, walks, etc. We went to our good friend Obi Kaufmann's art show that week and got a new painting for our Vermont abode. Here's a shot of Obi himself with the painting on the right. It's called "Springtime Predators" and it's painted on the cover of a book, which I especially love:


We also had a fun day visiting the Redwoods one last time. Any of you Bay Area residents who have not checked out Big Basin, I implore you, go as soon as possible! Saturday April 12th was a glorious, sunny, warm day and we did a really simple hike up through infinitely tall, towering trees. When we arrived at the top we found a big hollow redwood that we sat in for a while, looking up at the tree tops. I do not have a picture of this exact day, but this shot was taken at Big Basin a few years ago and gives you the feeling of looking up at giants:


On the way home we stopped at Barbara's Fishtrap, north of Half Moon Bay--a yummy seafood shack right on the water. I am so disappointed that I did not take a picture of the bathroom in door in this place because there was an adorable painting of a red crab wearing pearls and carrying a purse and she made me very happy. Ironically, we found out the next day that Gen, Vic, and Judy had gone to this restaurant a few hours earlier the very same day! Gen was equally in love with the crabby lady.

We went to the east coast for a week and I saw my mom who is recovering very well from her surgery. Tom's mom had surgery while we were there and it went extremely well and we all are very thankful. While on the east coast I started the process of buying my first car; a little Subaru Outback Impreza. The one downside to living in Vermont will be more driving. I'm proud that I was able to hold out until 32 before needing to buy my own car, though. I will miss public transportation for sure.

I went up to Vermont on Tom's birthday, April 18th, and we spent the day with his family. Right before Sue went to her surgery there was a volcanic eruption at Sarah and Matt's. Here are Sue and Judson making the volcano:


Tom and I also spent a day in Montpelier and he really liked it, which was a huge relief to me. I promise as soon as I am settled in a couple of weeks and have my computer set up I will post a bunch of pictures of Montpelier.

So, just one week left of vacation and I think it will be a lot like last week, full of packing and figuring out moving logistics. Apparently every moving company is out to get you and it's hard to select a reputable one. If any of you have recommendations, please let me know. The weather has been beautiful and I hope to have a few more walks in our neighborhood and visits with friends. I leave on Thursday...

3 comments:

jk said...

hi!

Unknown said...

Great picture of Sue and Judson. I think Judson has just put two and two together and figured out that the dinosaurs' extinction was caused by a volcano.

alohacook said...

hey dude, what's happening in vt? i am attempting to make all 175 cookies in martha's new book so i have followed your lead. my cookie blog is on here "175cookies"