Monday, April 7, 2008

Vacation?

It's 9:30 on Monday morning and it's the first weekday of my 4 weeks off before I start my new job in Vermont. I'm a little confused about what to do with myself. I have a long list of things I need to do before I move: buy a car!, sell our car!, select a moving company!, pack!, (and on and on--many of you have seen my lists so you can imagine how long it actually is). I don't really want to look at the list yet, though. I'm still amazed that I actually have so much time off. I know it will go really fast and I know I have lots of un-fun moving stuff to do, but I really want to figure out the best way possible to enjoy so much time off, as I know it will be a while before it happens again. The last time I had an extended period of time off was over 6 years ago when I moved to San Francisco. I was unemployed and frantic about trying to find a job since I moved basically a week after the dotcom bust...

I'm in that blissful moment right now, envisioning a whole calendar month laid out ahead of me with no work. It's like the feeling all us working stiffs get on Friday night, knowing the whole weekend is ahead of us, knowing the alarm won't go off tomorrow morning. Granted, some of my list includes freelance work, but that's fun stuff for friends. Part of me wants to deal with the list as fast as possible and get it all over and done with, but if I know myself, I know I am a slave to lists and I live in a purgatory of trying to remember what I was supposed to add to what list. It's so bad sometimes that I contemplate finding a list-makers anonymous group to get out of the list frenzy that is my life. So, I know that even if I plowed through everything this week, I'd find a whole slew of other to-dos to add to the list.

For now, I'm just going to play it slow. I played with the cat this morning and I'm going to go make my coffee and read my book. I'm going to go for a walk later this afternoon and meet some friends for yoga and dinner this evening. I'm going to give this relaxation thing a try, but I may need help, so if any of you have any advice for your neurotic, can't sit still, list-making friend as to how to get the most out of the next four weeks, please post a comment!

1 comment:

jk said...

have fun and take it slow! - mom