Friday, October 10, 2008

Autumn

Many of you have been asking me why my blog hasn't been updated in a while. I lament the fact that we still don't have reliable internet access at home and I can't get online very easily. Additionally our camera got wet a couple of weeks ago and it was taking very foggy pictures for a while. It's better now, and we will hopefully have the internet issue resolved next weekend. I've been disappointed because I have lots of plans for this blog and cannot carry them out, but I promise that one day I will again be a dutiful blogger.

Autumn has officially arrived in Vermont! The view from our window as been full of reds, oranges, yellows, and moss greens. And at work, up north, we experienced peak foliage last week. It came early this year. There is a beautiful maple tree right outside the Zutano barn that was the star of the show. The last few days have been full of crisp blue skies, leaves swirling this way and that and rustling across the ground. Woodsmoke is rising from many chimneys on the drive to and from work and people are lugging cords of firewood all over the place to ready for winter. The temps dipped lower than freezing a few nights this past week and we awoke to find frost on our windshields in the morning. Neither of us have ice scrapers yet!

At the farmers market the vendors are selling a wide variety of squash, decorative corn, dried flowers, garlic braids, and apples. The market lasts through the end of the month and there will be a special market for Thanksgiving. We have yet to get our pumpkins, but we did get some organic hard cider made in Vermont that I'm excited to try. I have already made an appointment to put snow tires on our cars and have put my warm weather clothes away for the year. If this winter is anything like last winter, Tom and I will have a lot of adjusting to do.

More photos, etc. in the weeks to come, I promise! 

No comments: